Friday, April 07, 2006

A birthday that turned on its head!

April 2nd 2006 - Li’l did I know, that this would turn out this way. Yes of course, I turned 23 a few days back, just another year older, a few more white hairs, a few more responsibilities and the rest of the crap that follows along with it. But, who says it’s not a day to celebrate!
I really was thinking of keeping this day a very low key and sober affair, ha, not that I’m disappointed at what eventually came out of it! Somewhere down the lane, I really did miss mum yesterday, cuz’ if she was here, I’m sure she would’ve left no stone unturned as well (along with my folks like she did in 2004) in making this day extremely special for me. Guess I missed her the most only yesterday over the last 6 months, cuz you realize, whenever it’s a happy occasion, say birthdays, weddings etc etc, the first set and the most default set of people you want to spend it with are your parents and immediate family. But as it stands for me, my friends and cousins are my immediate family and that’s what paid off yesterday.

The day began with its normal chores, though there was this real flood of calls from a minute before midnight. This though stopped at about ¾ quarters past 12 and I did manage to catch up on some good sleep till dawn. Come 7AM, calls continued to flow, and this would go on till the evening. My original plan was to just stick to home, invite a few friends over and have a very simple and quiet evening! Sathi though wanted me over at his place for lunch, to execute the surprise he had in store for me. A good shower, a relatively grand pooja at home, a visit to the temple (after ages!), some extra time spent there trying to gather my thoughts and I was content, cuz I’d done everything that mum would’ve done for me on my birthday, had she been there though!
Time continued to tick along, as the minutes I spent on the cell phone continued to tick along as well. It’s a great feeling to have so many people calling you to convey their wishes, giving you that sense of joy that there are people out there in this world who pull out a minute of their time, to think of you, and hope and pray the best for you! Even more so in my case, where I’ve started to depend of some of my friends for so many various things in life and all of them have stood up to me like strong rocks!
I drove down to Sathi’s at about 1 PM, played cricket with his kids, who of course are real and true jokers and treat me that way as well! Sometimes, I think, my maturity levels really must be as low as theirs, otherwise I cant believe I could jell so bloody well with 2 4 yr old guys. A surprise cake cutting ceremony followed, which was then supported by some good home made food and topped off with amazing kheer.
Sunil, Rohit & Sindhu decided to drop by home at about 3ish, so I had to leave Sathi’s unusually early. Picked up some good Sula white wine and beer along the way and reached home awaiting these fellas. They did come and what I would then call the ‘Sober’ party began! We toasted to the occasion, sat down for a couple of drinks, chatted up on ol’ times, mainly discussing, why Josephites are so much better then Cottonians (hehe…you think I gave into that conversation…bull shit). A game of monopoly began, and that was my first taste of failure for the day, which sadly got extended into cards as well later on in the evening. Monopoly followed for about ½ an hour, in which time, I could buy only 1 Bloody property, that too a utility ‘Water works’!!! Man, I was seriously a loser at this…
The game got abandoned midway – with Sindhu leaving to catch a play. Sunil was off to drop her, and in the mean time, Roti and I decided to pick up more beer as well! So off we were, to Millenium bar and restaurant, the same place which I ended up visiting and shopping from 3 times, in the same day itself! We underestimated ourselves I think, picking up only about 8 cans of beer, as we made our way back home! Tried my best to get the house into some kinda shape (the cleanliness freak that I am!!!) before the boyzzzz dropped in. Some more beer shared between Rohit and me, discussing the various thrills and spills of life followed. Keshav who would then come to be named ‘Shavvvvv’ by Rohit a.k.a his soul mate for the evening, walked in first. In followed, Sunil as well after doing his duties as a responsible boy. By this time ofcourse, Rohit I believe had hit the roof, cuz’ when you see him talking non-stop, I mean…literally…non-stop, you can be rest assured, that his brain cells were under the beer-spell….
Some ridiculously bad PJ’s filled the room, and the occasional giggle as well. The scent of tobacco was not to be left behind either. Music played non-stop, n so did the alcohol as well…
In came the guys….mustve been around 7:30 or so, when Shevade and kris made their way in…along with of course –Vinoa De Goa Port Wine & Peach Schnapps, to go along with the stuff I’d brought already..
So what did we have on the house – Unlimited cans of beer, Sula white wine, Vinoa De Goa Port wine, Peach Schnapps, Bacardi, as well as Golconda red wine, the last 2 of which was bought in the next couple of instalments, thanks to our underestimating capabilities. Kulla followed not too soon later, in which mean time ofcourse, Manu had called and I’d invited him over as well, along with Yashwant & Akshay..
So I’d say, that’s when it all began. Bipin ofcourse was a late entry, by when most of the atmosphere had reached its peak and was in the decline again!
A most amazing and brilliant game of cards followed, to go with the unlimited flow of alcohol! I’m saying amazing, cuz I was an illiterate at cards till this point of time, when I did see a ray of hope only to be demolished by 8 other punters around me. A zillion and one games of black-jack followed, only separated by 2 breaks, the reasons for which, you know very well by now I think…
Our ‘spirits’ were literally in the air, all through the game of cards. Thankfully, I mean really, we were betting 1-2 bucks only, basically dealing just in coins…Coming to think of it, I lost close to 40 bucks I think, just betting in coins. Thank God we didn’t migrate in Rupees, lest my fortunes would’ve been sealed permanently on my birthday! Some ppl just get to have all the fun they say, and that’s how it turned out. Sunil tried saving me from the blushes, but I inturn almost left him on the verge of poverty as well ;-) Well, this game needed a lotta luck, and I sure didn’t have much of that on this day! Rohit continued to enthrall with his antics, sipping more beer along the way, ripping away 1 buck each time from his pocket only to earn 5 in return. He was truly calling the shots, as most of us around there weren’t too aware of how it was all shaping up. This went on for a good couple of hours, with VH1 Great Weekend giving us company on TV. The break eventually came, only when we realized that we’d run out of beer again. A 3rd and final trip to Millenium, (by when the owner who was truly amazed at our alcohol intakes, just greeted us with a wry smile) more beer picked up and back we were at our abode!
The cake cutting ceremony then followed, my 2nd for the day, at 9 PM! OH man, this cake was truly amazing I must say, something called ‘cherry cake’ from Sweet Chariot. I’ve always been a chocolate freak all my life and continue to remain so esp. in such matters, where my risk taking abilities would be at an abject low. This cake changed a lotta that. The traditional birthday song could be heard all over the place, followed by me feeding all the 11 fellas out there twice, some of them even licking the cake off my fingers !!!!yeekssss….but all ok, in the fit of madness I would say!
This break would however bring the curtains down on cards, tho the conversations refused to stop. We continued on our spree of madness, discussing issues from Shiv sena to DD hills to updating Sunil n’ Rohit, all about Halcyon, and our erstwhile tumkur days, as the booze followed, now with Peach Schnapps of course. Dinner did come along as well in the means of egg fried rice n the southi beloved curd rice!!!!!
As the night came to an end, so did the get-together, wouldn’t like to call it a party cuz it wasn’t one in the truest sense! People left just as the way they came in, with the final gang making their way out at 12:30, thus bringing the roof down on another of my most memorable birthdays.
Thanks to all of you again, and I say thanks this time round, cuz you guys with your presence, made me miss mum that much lesser today. Though ofcourse, the icing on the cake would’ve been her presence and her way of freakin’ out at the amount of booze we consumed?????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»