Sunday, February 04, 2007

World Cancer Day

Yes, the 4th of February is considered to be "World Cancer Day" ! I'm not so sure, how many of you were actually aware of such a day even existing !
Nevertheless, for me personally, it carries a lot of relevance. And, on this day, I'd like to reiterate my pledges taken in this regard:
I, on this day, pledge to be associated in the best way possible, with activities working towards spreading awareness of this disease.
I, on this day, pledge to do my bit in helping people across the world understand the causes and effects of this disease.
I, on this day, pledge to do my part in making this world a better place to live in, a world where cancer is treated with as much concern, a world where cancer patients are made to feel at home with life.
I, on this day, pledge to dedicate a constructive portion of my forthcoming time on Mother Earth in doing whatever it takes, whether that be directly or indirectly related to this disease.
I, on this day, pledge to help cancer patients across the globe lead a better quality of life.

I, on this day, also hope that people across the world would stand up and take notice of the word CANCER and join hands in helping build more social awareness of the same. I, on this day, pray to GOD to infuse energy and spirit into all those lives affected by this disease.

I on this day, stand up and respect that one person closest to my heart, who showed me what resilience in life is all about.

5 comments:

Tripti said...

I worked one year at the cancer hostipal at USC. Making applications to assist research in Colorectal, Breast, Bladder Cancers and Neuroblastoma. Everytime I spoke to a patient, everytime I saw a patient and everytime I entered patient data it would hurt. I'd still feel helpless. The truth is whatever we do to help is a drop in the ocean, but its just not enough. The cause is bigger and we need more people.

AJ{ax} said...

It might not be enough in the larger scheme of things. Well, thats what Lance Armstrong thought as well. Look where he is now with his initiative. It's about pursuing your desire full on, and things would work. Ultimately, I'm not looking at changing a million lives in the process. Even if I change 1 or 2 or 10 for the better, and if I'm known in those 1 or 2 or 10 pair of eyes as someone who had a deep impact on them, I'd give my mum's soul and my own as well that much peace I think.
And very frankly, I really want to relive that entire experience. It was tough yes, but extremely helpful. And looking back now, I don't think of it as something wrong. On the contrary, except the outcome of it all, the entire experience has opened me up to respect life and its twists and turns more.

Quintessential said...

"passing through the tunnels of despair...when a ray of hope emerges....its much more coherent and constructive".
This is wat i have seen mate. To move the masses u need a thrust and this thrust sometimes takes the form of despair or gloom.
But when someone takes the sad moments in his life as a pivot not only to turn around his life but of someone else's too....it becomes a truly commendable act worth a zillion pounds.
My friend kudos to u as u have already started the process of creating awareness through this blog.

AJ{ax} said...

@ shinde
Thanks pal. Circumstances change people. I was never a believer in this till a few years back, but now, I swear by this scheme. It is absolutely true. Today, I dont feel for anything much more than I feel for this cause. And I would do whatever it takes to bring those smiles back onto those 1 or 2 amongst the zillion fighting this day and night. It teaches you resilience, and thats the biggest thing I've learnt. When living becomes more important to you than anything else, you would do anything it takes to LIVE! Most patients fighting any sort of life threatening disease feel this way.
Afterall, on my death bed, I'd wanna have been friends with a few people who suffered this disease,
and who found a good friend and listener, in me!!!

MOD squad said...

(sorry for posting in this thread)
The blog has been updated with the latest details. Have a look and give us a call before dropping in :)

Cheers,
Aashish